Sunday, 17 March 2013

homework part 2

So as promised at silly a clock this morning here is part two...

The next load of questions focus on meeting with birth family and our views on this.

Question four: how would you feel about seeing birth mother and farther?
We both understand this could be beneficial for both parties, also how it could benefit us in the future when child asks questions about them and whats to know what they were like. I think it would really depend on why the child had been removed from them in the first place, but obviously I think we both understand that we would have to weight this up at the time that it was offered.

Question five: can we promote contact with birth parents and siblings?
This we put yes, obviously it will be difficult with birth parents or even extended birth adults. We would quite happily promote and assist the child to meet with siblings. To be honest we would also assist them to meet with birth parents, yes it will be highly emotional for both us, the child and the birth family and obviously it would only be in the best interests of the child so if it was too distressing it would be stopped.

Question six: how would we feel if the child decided to renew contact with their birth family once they were an adult?
Lastly well we would be supportive and we would be with them every step of the way, ensuring they were comfortable and also in control of the situation. Understandably it maybe difficult for us to come to terms with initially but obviously we would support the child in whatever they choose to do. 

We've got day three and four of our training course tomorrow and tuesday... so I will update on those in due course...  

1 comment:

  1. We didn't get a chance to meet Katie's BPs and I wish we had been able to. I'm hoping that we might be able to meet BM with our current adoption but I suspect it won't happen. I think, for Katie, it will be important to her to know we have met them but luckily she can get lots of info from her FC who knew them both well. I'd like to see BM to reassure her we are looking after Katie and will not stop her seeing her in the future, should they both want that. It feels like a page left unwritten at the moment. Contact generally can be emotionally difficult, especially when you write letters and don't receive replies. We are hoping to organise direct contact between Katie and another of her sibilings. I feel very positive about this and have met his BF who we really liked. x

    ReplyDelete